Connecting families to community resources and supporting parent-teacher collaboration.
a Parent Liaison Can Help
Have a question about the school or your child’s academics?
Wondering about activities or resources that are available?
Need help finding childcare?
Need to connect with Department for Health and Human Services for a Bridge card, insurance, or other supports?
We help ensure stability and support for students and families without a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.
Need help connecting with a counselor, psychologist, or other mental health professional?
Beth is starting her third year as a Parent Liaison for Jenison Public Schools. Prior to this, Beth spent 11 years as a speech pathologist in Grand Rapids and 12 years as an SLP with Jenison’s ASD program. Beth graduated from Western Michigan University with a major in Speech Pathology and minors in Spanish and Elementary Education. She received her M.A. in Speech Pathology from Eastern Michigan University. In her spare time, Beth loves spending time with her family, boating, and reading. Beth provides support to Bauerwood, Bursley, Rosewood, JIA, and the High School.
Mary is starting her fifth year as a Parent Liaison for Jenison Public Schools. Prior to being a Parent Liaison, Mary spent 25 years teaching third grade. Mary graduated from Hope College with a degree in elementary and special education. Her Master’s Degree is from Cleveland State University where she focused on Early Childhood Special Education. Mary loves spending time with her family and friends, traveling, reading, and playing pickleball.
Mary provides support to El Puente, Pinewood, Sandy Hill, the Junior High and the ECC.
Opportunities for Families
- ArtPrize is back! September 16-October 3, 2021. ArtPrize® is an open, independently organized international art competition which takes place in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It celebrates artists working in all mediums from anywhere in the world, and is open to any creative with an artwork to enter and a venue willing to host it. Visit their website for more information.
Ready to run? Love INC is inviting you to join the Love’s HayDay 5K on October 9th from 9-11 in Hudsonville. Click on the link for more information and to sign up. You can also check out their facebook page for event information.
- Take a walk in the park! Did you know…Bridge Card holders in Michigan can receive a free Ottawa County Parks annual motor vehicle permit? See this flyer for more information.
- Time to Play Outside! Check out these links for information on Millenium Park and other Amazing Parks and Playgrounds in West Michigan.
- Shopping for Fresh Fruits and Vegetables? Visit these local Farmer’s Markets in Georgetown (through Sept. 13) and the Greater Grand Rapids Area.
- Sibshops: Brothers and sisters of children with special needs now have a group that’s just for them. Sibshops are peer support groups that offer an engaging space for siblings to be heard, understood and supported. See the flyer for dates and more information.
- The (Anti) Racism Task Force is partnering with A Long Talk to deepen our community conversations about race and racism on September 27, 28, and 29 from 6:30pm-8pm. Click on this link link for more information and to register.
- Depression / Bipolar /Anxiety Support: Fairhaven church in Jenison is offering a free DBSA support group on the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month. See this flyer for more information.
- Nurturing parent class: Join us for this FREE 10-week series for parents and caregivers! Classes will cover a variety of topics including discipline, communications, child development, and problem-solving. This fun and informative class is for parents or caregivers with kids of any age. Zoom link will be provided after registration. To register, contact Brandon Melnyk firstname.lastname@example.org or call 616-450-4651. For more information click on this link.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program is an opportunity for eligible households to receive one monthly benefit in the form of a discount of up to $50/month on eligible fixed or mobile broadband services and associated equipment for participating providers. Please see the attached attached flyer for more information on the program.
- Heat and Energy Program: TrueNorth Community Services’ emPower Heat and Energy Program assists people struggling to afford their utility and deliverable fuels in Michigan – Apply today!
- Emergency Utility Program: Local Community Action Agencies across Michigan provide help with utilities, weatherization, and emergency assistance. Locate a participating agency near you or create a MI Bridges account and search for Utility Service Payment Assistance resources.
Immediate help may be available if you are facing conditions of extreme hardship or emergencies threatening your health and safety. See MiBridges for more information or to sign up.
- Housing assistance resources for renters and landlords: The COVID-19 pandemic has created economic uncertainty in the lives of those we serve – particularly in their housing. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has a new website that allows renters and landlords to find information on rental assistance in their area. This assistance can cover rent, utilities, and other housing costs to help keep residents in their homes. The website offers resources in English and Spanish. Click on the links for more information: Rent and Utility Assistance Utility Bills
- Emergency Food: The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) will distribute USDA foods to Ottawa County households in the month of September. See this flyer for more information.
- September Mobile Food Pantry Schedule
Car seat trade in: Target is once again welcoming shoppers to trade in their old car seats for a 20%-off coupon toward new car seats, strollers and select baby gear from 9/1-9/25. Target Car Seat Trade In
- Double Up Food Bucks: You can get up to $50 in FREE produce through the Double Up Food Bucks when you make purchases with your Bridge Card or Pandemic EBT student food benefits at participating Farmers Markets. See www.westmichiganfarmmarkets.com for a listing of Farmers Markets. The DUFB match is up to $50 a day this year. Farmer’s Markets Accepting Bridge Cards – Double Up Food Bucks Flyer – Farmers accepting Bridge Card Nru
- Double Up Food Bucks: You can get up to $50 in FREE produce through the Double Up Food Bucks when you make purchases with your Bridge Card or Pandemic EBT student food benefits at participating Farmers Markets. See www.westmichiganfarmmarkets.com for a listing of Farmers Markets. The DUFB match is up to $50 a day this year. Farmer’s Markets Accepting Bridge Cards – Double Up Food Bucks Flyer – Farmers accepting Bridge Cards
- GVSU K-12 Connect – Supporting Future Success: K-12 Connect has quickly expanded its free programs to further provide educational and mentoring services on a year-round basis. See below for more information on the current programs K-12 Connect offers. https://www.gvsu.edu/k12connect/
- FREE COLLEGE –Michigan residents 25 and older who don’t have a college degree can now apply for funding to cover community college tuition costs or skilled trades training scholarships. Click here for more information or to apply.
- Community Action House offers Financial Wellness WORKSHOPS that provide courses, services, and counseling at no cost to community members for home buying education, financial capability, and foreclosure intervention.
- Looking for outdoor fun for your family? There is a new interactive nonmotorized trail map which features 4,600 miles of trails.
- Resilience offers resources for helping to end domestic violence. Many services are being offered virtually. Check out the website to get connected or call the 24 Hour Help Line at 1-800-848-5991 for free and confidential support for survivors of domestic and sexual violence.
- The Fresh Guide to EBT answers all of your questions related to food stamps in Michigan. And best of all, the Fresh EBT app for Iphone and Android helps you keep track of all of your EBT information right on your pho
- Gently used Boy’s clothing sizes 6-14
- Auto Repairs
- $10-$20 gas cards
- washer and dryer
Do you have have items or services to add to the list?